Make Some Tomatoes Before Summer’s Over!
September 5, 2015
Make sure to try out this delicious recipe for stuffed tomatoes while they’re still summer-ripe! Adapted from Ottolenghi’s “Plenty.”
- 4 large tomatoes (ripe but firm)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 black olives, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 30g breadcrumbsshopping list
- 2 tbsp chopped oregano
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped capers
- salt and pepper
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 160C. Trim off the top of each tomato and discard. Use a teaspoon to remove the flesh from the insides. Lightly salt the insides of the tomatoes and place upside-down in a colander to drain off some moisture.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan and lightly fry the onion, garlic and olives until the onion has softened. Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, herbs, capers and seasoning.
- Fill the tomatoes with the herb stuffing, pressing down gently and leaving some piled on top to get crispy.
- Drizzle with the remaining oil and bake for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes soften.
- Serve with a few pieces of goats cheese, or a simple salad.
- Enjoy, comment and rate!